A Basic Mornay for Macaroni and Cheese
- One bag elbow noodles
- 3 bacon pieces
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 c. cream
- 1 c. skim milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. butter (unsalted)
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 c. Gruyere, grated
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ c. bread crumbs
- ⅓ c. Parmasean, grated
- Boil one bag elbow noodles in slightly salted water.
- Fry up three pieces of bacon, crumble once cooled.
- Wilt one bunch of spinach in bacon grease.
- Combine noodles, bacon, and spinach in mixing bowl.
- Heat the cream, milk, and nutmeg in a small sauce pan.
- In a medium size sauce pan melt butter. Once butter is bubbly add flour to create a roux. Stir constantly with wooden spoon for 3-5 minutes or until the roux is a nutty color and smells like bread.
- Ladle the milk into the roux mixture one spoonful at a time, whisking all the while. Once nice and creamy sprinkle in Gruyere and mustard and stir until smooth.
- Add sauce to your noodle mixture and gently stir.
- Pour macaroni mixture into ramekins and top with bread crumbs and Parmasean. Bake at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until crispy on top.
Recipe by Saucy Dipper at https://www.saucydipper.com/3039/how-to-make-mornay-sauce/